First 10K - Done!

Well, that was fun. I finished my first ever race in one piece and nothing horrible happened along the way. The inaugural Project Athena 10K (there was a 5K and a kids 1K also) was this morning in Julia Davis Park at 8am. This was my first ever 10K, first running race ever. I was expecting to finish under 90 minutes, but I did it at 76 minutes.

The swag bag that I picked up yesterday at Shu's was pretty nice. I thought I read online it was going to have $65 dollars of goodies in it, but I am pretty happy with the Merrell Inversion Bag (I really wanted one of these to take to the gym instead of a big backpack), Wigwam running socks with the Project Athena on the cuff, a $15 coupon to Shu's, Sun-Rype fruit leather and some VitaFusion gummy samples. Oh and the Merrell race tech shirt is very nice too. 

I work swing shift, so going to bed before midnight is pretty tough. And I never use an alarm clock to wake up in the afternoon. I always get my 7-8 hours of sleep every night. I was aiming for a 10pm bedtime, but that wasn't going to happen. Even after 2 strong gin & tonics. I set my alarm clock for 6am. Set the coffee pot on auto brew and got my clothes all ready for the morning.

11pm I popped a melatonin.

11:30pm I added an Ambien and a Tylenol PM to the mix. Yeah. My liver and drug tolerance is toast.

Midnight-ish I am finally asleep.

5:30am I am wide awake. WTF! I have a half hour before my alarm! The BF gets up and I lay in bed until my alarm buzzes. I turn on the coffee pot since the the circuit breaker flipped off in the night. I have a banana slathered with Nutella. How people can eat that on toast, I don't understand. I down only a cup of coffee and I start to feel the tremors of a tummy ache.

Is it silly I bought a Race-Lite-Go just for something cool to hang my race number on when I run instead of using safety pins AND have a pouch to carry my cell phone in? I also took along an Orange Hammer Gel too. Anyways...

We get to the park about 7:30. I really thought that there would have been more people running the race. I was race number 56 and there was, what, less then 250. Total bummer. I was now getting a little worried that I was going to be in last place. My tummy was not happy and my mouth was dry.

We all set off and I start slow. With that being my only speed, I moved from 2/3rds back of pack to the back 3. My tummy was still not happy and my mouth was still SO dry. A mile into it I noticed a water container that the Boise RunWalk had set out. I had to take some water (thanks!) and get on my way. I was passed by 1 girl while I had a sip. I caught back up to her but it was at mile 3. I can now see how exciting it is to spot someone up ahead make that decision to pass up to them. My tummy started to feel a little better and I did not stop to walk until mile 4.5 or so. That is so impressive given my size and ability and all. I was getting pretty tired and made sure to walk to drink my water at the water stations. There wasn't anyone really cheering except the people involved with the race - volunteers and other racers. I did get one "Good Job" by a Team in Training coach running with 3-4 other people. At mile 5 I heard someone call out 58 minutes, so that helped me figure out how well I was doing. I couldn't go any faster then what I did at the finish line but I did better then expected. And I did not finish last. Just 5th from last. :-)

There was a raffle after the race with all sorts of goodies. Sunglasses, passes to paintball and a bunch of other things that were handed out before I got there. I actually got a prize! It was a family pass to the Discovery Center. I don't have a gaggle of kids to take, but the BF can take his son and his BFF if 12-13 year old boys don't think they are too old for the DC.

All in all, I am pretty pumped about the day. I had 2 -15 minute naps, food and a hop in the hot tub, a shower and now I am ready to hit Starbucks, PayetteBrewing, and 3 G&T's. I am pretty sure I am going to be one of the first people to register for this race again next year.

Time to ice the knees. They are pretty stiff compared to most days. 

Comments

Popular Posts