Next Big Thing

Tonight, I spent my time searching online for the next marathon I want to do.
 
 There are SO many out there, that I am ready to just sign up for all of them, but my bank account wouldn't really appreciate that.

I searched on Runners World race finder, MarathonGuide.com and clicked random inks and googled the distance and if the race happened to fall on or near a holiday.

Here are a couple that I am really interested in doing.


The Columbia River Power Marathon looks interesting.
 
Starts in a little town in the middle of nowhere (seriously, an hour or so from the "big" city of  Pendelton, OR and a couple hours from Portland, and about 4 hours from Boise), goes over the hydro-electric power dam over the Columbia River, into Washington, then back the way you came. 2 states! The 2011 male and female race winner gets a free trip to Vegas. Plus is looks like Brooks is making sure all the runners Run Happy with being a sponsor. Less then 80 signed up this year, which is good. Bad is that there is nothing out that way, from what I recall. It is too far to drive the morning before the race from Boise, which means a Friday night off work, and kinda boring sitting around in a hotel room the day before. But, I don't know about that. I am going by what I remember from driving back and forth so many times on I-84 for so many roadtrips. Anyways, deets about 2012 are not updated on the website yet. Email update - Debbie at the Hermiston Chamber of Commerce is sending me a registration so I can sign up early. She says the website will be updates in a couple of weeks.

If I have not complained enough about how that area of Oregon has nothing going on, well, there is ANOTHER race out that way that interests me. A Very Poplar Run I think would be creepy/cool/boring. I love driving by this on I-84. Just rows and rows of perfectly straight trees. And a bazzillion of them.
 

The website says...

The Boardman Tree Farm is 25,000 acres of hybrid poplar trees owned by the GreenWood Tree Farm Fund and operated by GreenWood Resources. It’s located in Morrow county Oregon along Interstate 84. The poplars also known as Pacific Albus range in age from 1 to 14 years old are neatly planted in rows and drip irrigated.

It is cool to see them as I drive by and to see nothing but perfect trees for a kids 1 mile, 5k or a 10k, with cheap fees so worth the drive there. 2012 race info isn't available yet.

I want to do a Northern Utah marathon (Provo, SLC) but it seems with the 6 hour cutoff for most of the main races, I don't think I could do that in 4 or 6 months. I would have to cut an hour AT LEAST off of Seattle, and I am not sure I could do an hour. I am ssssllllooowww. I would like a 7hour just to be sure.

I did look into Sogonapmit Marathon. It is close to SLC-5 hour drive for me. Places to go and see things at. The marathon starts early morning/late night, like 3am, which is cool for me. I am can easily be away all night and morning and late afternoon after working Graveyard shift for so long, my sleep is screwed up.
 
But I think the registration is full. If it is I am sad.This is THE ONE I want to do!

Bay to Breakers! I hope I can convince the BF to do. If I got in, I would register him. His brother did it and his step dad has done it and the BFs mom and step dad just need an excuse for a family trip. They are from the area and I know nothing of the area and they want to make sure I know of the places they refer to when they chat about Cali. Nice.
 
So, I would do this one.

The runners dream of running Robie is on my list. I wanted to run it last year, but they had website probs.
 
This year, I want to be in Robie. Just get it done and over with. It will kill me, I know it.

Any other quirky races that a close-ish to Boise that sound fun? I am ready to pic the next big deal for me 2012!

PS. all pics are from their particular websites.

Comments

Popular Posts