The BF Has The Bug

So, the story goes like this. The BF hates running. More then anyone else that I know. More then myself.

How do you punish someone who hates to run? Enter them in a race. His dad entered him into Bay To Breakers when he was younger & he hated it. He didn't have running shoes and he ran it in flip flops or barefoot or something painful like that. I have heard the story so many times, I forgot it.

I entered him into the Main Street Mile 2 years ago (as punishment because he made me mad for some reason or another), and he ran his mile in 7:53. He was sick for a week after because he gave it his all and didn't run for a month before the race. And he hated it. Totally traumatized after.

His 11 year old son ran the Main Street Mile in 8:13. Pretty freakin' impressive. I am not that fast. Running is not a punishment to most active children.

Last year when I did the Run For The Hills half, I signed him up for the 5K. You know. Punishment. Actually, I thought driving the 45 minutes to Fruitland with me, he might as well be punished participate.

He wanted to walk it and be last place (which he didn't happen), but did it slowly with pit stops in 52:14.

But somehow, something happened. I gave him the running bug. This weekend. Driving back from Stanley, he thought, if I can do it, he can do it too. You know, because I am overweight and don't follow a strict training plan and I get drunk the night before a big race. But I complete the races. Why can't he?

He now wants to complete a half marathon. Or at least a 10K. And he wants to wear MY garmin while doing it.

But he doesn't want to wear any fancy compression gear afterwards, or take any "frankenfoods" for recovery. And he doesn't want to wear any "fancy" shoes other then his cheap Asics that were like $40 on Zappos over a year ago.
These are his shoes. They even look cheap. Sorry Asics, but they do.

Sheesh. He wants to run and wear a garmin but he doesn't want to get nice shoes that will prevent injury? Have I not trained him to know better?

I have a worry that he will lose more weight, become better looking, and I will have to find something else to do to have my Me Time. And I will have to find another personal paparazzi who will not be at the finish line waiting for me to get finish line pics, as he is known to do...

And he doesn't want to cross the finish line holding hands or anything like that. He just wants to beat my time. Whatever time or race that it is. You know, male dominance kicking in.

I am going to sign him up for a 5K this weekend (If you are in Boise, you have to do this with me! It is for a good cause and there is beer after, and it is for a good cause. And it starts at NOON!)

Anyways, we will see how this race goes. See if he can beat my 35 minute 5K time. Which I think he will. He is faster then me...or was at one time.

Anyways, have you given your other half The running bug? How did it make you feel?

Comments

  1. OMG, Matt is the SAME WAY! He wears all cotton, but takes my garmin with him! He ran a 5k once, ate a spicy chicken sandwich from wendys beforehand, and then placed first in his age group! (although there were only two in his age group, lol) I have started hiding my garmin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly boys! Sounds like I will have to hide my garmin too! But it will make buying xmas presents easier for me if he did become a runner & an excuse for me to hang out more often at the running stores.

      Delete
  2. I am still waiting for my BF of 4 years to catch the running bug! At least he is supportive! :) A girl can dream..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - so funny :) I'm pretty sure my partner will never get in to running and perhaps I'm glad so we don't have to fight over gear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Have fun this weekend! The Caveman was a runner before I was. I remember being terrified at his half marathons thinking I could never.
    He has since retired from running more than a block at a time and I have running to myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts