Foothills XC12K Review

Saturday morning was some race I got talked into doing. This 12K was my 12th race in 12 months. I think that it so cool how it worked out that way without it being planned like that. It was one of those races where I had major nerves because, well, I am slow. And there are hills. And a combination of the two means potential last place finisher.
Before the warm-up
Thankfully, I was not. I was 7th from last. :-) My time was 1:39. However, it looks like I placed last in my AG. Oh well.

My race day started out normal. I slept amazingly well after 2 glasses of straight vodka chocolate martinis the night before! 7 good hours of sleep, 1 glass of Nuun, few sips of water, 1 cup of coffee, & 3 bites of toast. I couldn't do anymore about that.

My original shirt that I had planned to wear, (a light blue UA short sleeved pictured here) I didn't like how it bunched up when I threw on the belt/number holder. I changed to the pink Brooks shirt that I wore instead. Embarrassing note - I had swoob marks on the front of my shirt that the BF didn't notice after the race, but I sure noticed when I was looking back at the pictures he took. Wow. This shirt may not be worn in a race ever again!
Um, Hello swoob.
We got to the race and parked. I opened my car door to tighten my shoes and what did I find on the ground? A quarter! I have this thing that I find money quite often. (Last week I found $0.06 on Monday, $0.02 on a slog Tuesday afternoon, & at work - $0.15) Only then did I feel OK (but not great) about how this race was going to go.

My coach BF suggested I run to do a warmup. Ugh. Ok. Almost unwillingly I slogged up the street and back. I was pretty self-conscious because, well, I am not a strong trail runner, and I don't have that runner body most of you have. I was actually the biggest, most out of shape looking runner in the pack. And I was pretty out of breath on that warm-up! (August goal - increase my stalled mileage!) We started the race right on time.

From the video, a co-worker who I knew was running but I didn't notice him until after the race, started right behind me. Somewhere he had to have passed me, but I was so focused on not dying and not being last that I went automatically into the zone.

You can tell from my miles that it was rough and I don't run uphill very well. But I am pretty proud of some of the mile times.

The trail was nice. Not like Hard Guy where it is all rocks and uneven ground. But this trail is sandy and pretty flat. I mean the trail surface is flat. The elevation is not.


I didn't walk until after the 1st mile when the real hills started. All I focused on was putting space in-between me and the girls behind me. I slowly caught up to another girl walking in front of me and passed her before the 3rd mile. I don't remember if I caught up to anyone else, but one lady was walking up the hill and told me to "pass her skinny butt." Either she slowed down, or I sped up but she got passed. We chatted for a bit about running (she was coming back from an injury, this was my 12th race in 12 months) and I passed her. Then on the downhill she passed me again. I passed her and another lady about mile 5. The other lady passed me shortly after 6 and I was the rabbit for "skinny butt" lady. She had a 2 hour prediction also, but told her friend waiting at the finish that I was her rabbit. Where have I actually been someones rabbit? Um, never. So she was giving me an ego boost, or whatever. I finished only 20 seconds before her.



During this race, man, my hammys and calves were at cramping levels going on the uphills. I thought I would be hurting Sunday morning as I type this, but really, I am not. I also was tightening my shoulders up at sadly, painful levels. I had to remind myself to really keep focus on my upper body form on this race. The last mile or so, I could feel a hot spot forming on the arch of my left foot. It didn't form into a blister, but there is something about running trails that gives my feet blisters despite my choice of shoes or socks - which doesn't happen when I run roads.
Both middle toes have blisters.
I took 1 gel before mile 6. (Accel Strawberry Kiwi) and when I opened it, it splooged all over my hand. Ugh. I took my gel and wiped my hand on the inside of my skirt. I was playing with the idea of no gel and only water during the race. I started getting side stitches about mile 4 and figured it had to do with lack of glycogen. They went away after I took the gel. 

After the race there is the awards (bottle opener on a colored ribbon) and a raffle. They gave away pretty awesome stuff. Growlers (which the BF is pretty sad that I didn't win) bags, pint glasses, and gift cards to lots of stores. My co-worker won a shirt and Frisbee. I got a water bottle and pair of socks. With that prize win (socks- $15 price tag on them, water bottle guesstimation cost $5+) I basically got most of my $25 registration fee back. In my book, that makes this race a must do next year again.
Post-race swag. Yessss!
Post-race recovery involved Big Juds. I wanted to order and eat the whole burger, but the BF said that it was a bad idea. I inhaled, well, not really because it was hard enough to have half the burger, fries and ice cream. I didn't eat anything else the rest of Saturday other the Big Juds. One meal was breakfast, lunch and dinner.


For the SYTO5K - my 5K time from the start of this race was 42 minutes. Friday, my 5K time on the track was 33. Quite a difference hills make. This is my 5K race face.
(I wasn't crying, I was sweating pretty hard, and I only took 1 pic of myself. I tried to take the worst possible picture while in motion right before my 5K point because of potential use in The Boring Runners blog. Yay for success in bad picture taking ability and blogging embarrassment.

Comments

  1. Great job!!! It was fun seeing you at the end and cheering you in as we were waiting for our friend to come in too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for talking me into this race. I, dare I say, had fun. It was a challenge and will look forward to doing it again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts