Love & Ultra Love

I just want to say a quick thank you for all the #GGS & #SPA love on this Friday. I will do my best to return the favor tonight and this weekend. I have had a good week with some personal, non-workout related things, and all the comments help start my weekend on a high note.
Source

Thank you.

Ok, I took today as a rest day because I went to get the BF lunch during my workout time. I spent Wednesday and Thursday getting my workout on.

Garmin deets from Tablerock on Wedneday
Wednesday was a short jaunt up to Tablerock and Thursday was weight training my arms with a few moves for the abs and those evil split squats.

Before I started lifting on Thursday
I have spent part of today (Friday) researching ultra running. My 2013 goal is to complete an ultra. Along with another marathon or so, but an ultra (and maybe more then one) is the top goal.

I have also asked for a tri-bike for xmas, so if I actually get a new bike that costs more then what my car did new 15 years ago, I would have to throw a tri into the schedule too. But the decision has been made about completing an ultra run.

I decided earlier this year that my first ultra will be, or in other words, I would like the Weiser River Trail 50K to be my first ultra. It is a fairly flat course and not too technical. And it is pretty close to be considered local. With it being the end of April, I have just enough time to research, plan, and train for completing a 50K. Plus there doesn't seem to be much need for a crew on this race since I don't think I can fully trust the BF to crew for me. Sorry BF. I know you didn't want that job anyways.

One thing that scares me about ultras is the scrambling over rocks and getting lost on the trail. As much as I may know, or not know, a course, I kinda like to zone out and just keep moving forward and shut off my brain from thinking about anything. Thinking about rocks and footing and direction, and fooding, and getting lost while being, cold, wet, alone isn't something I am totally comfortable with. I guess the race that I had that reminded me of those things was the Redfish Half. I was alone with no one around and I was confused about my surroundings at most of the race. It could have been partially my fault since I was so hungover that day, too. My brain was depleted of carbs, water, and logical thinking.

I have already read Relentless Forward Progress and The Extra Mile from the library, but would like more books to read for research and motivation. I have already read all of Dean's books. Does anyone have any other ultra running book suggestions?

I think I have read nearly every article on UltRunR. ULTRAmarathonTraining has lots of links I am enjoying clicking on a reading. I am also looking for other good sites and blogs. Please share them in the comments if you have one or know of any.

Have you completed an ultra? Or do you want to?  Do you want to do the Weiser 50K with me? Wanna be my crew next year? Have you started planning your races for 2013? What is your biggest race goal?

Comments

  1. Wowzers! I sounds like you have some ambitious goals. I just completed my second 1/2 marathon in September and I am so inspired by some of the things that you want to accomplish in 2013.
    Good luck bike shopping!
    Cheers!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big goals, thats awesome! Im planning my 2013 races, I just need to come up with the funds. The biggest thing I have planned for 2013 is a Ragnar Relay! Good luck planning for your Ultra, thats HUGE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ragnar would be super cool to complete!

      Delete
  3. How very cool that you are going to do that! I have seen a couple of others that have done an Ultra, but I have never done one myself. My goal is to do a half and then once I reach that goal I am going to see where the world takes me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome goal! Good luck - I think looking forward to it can be half the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like variety and think that switching up goals and focus helps me keep the fun in running.

      Delete
  5. Wow! an ultra!!! Wow! I am doing my first half in 2 weeks... then I guess it's time to prepare for my first marathon or maybe tough mudder... IDK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may be roped into a tough mudder next year. They seem like so much fun!

      Delete
  6. An ultra is a fantastic goal!!!! I asked for a tri bike for either my birthday or Christmas this year, but I highly doubt I will get one. UGH. I want one sooooo bad!!!!! My coach even makes custom tri bikes so I could get a pink one if my husband would let me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, a pink bike! That would be so awesome!

      Delete
  7. Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon by Neal Jamison was the first Ultra book I ever read. It is really a collection of stories from great ultra runners. You will do awesome at Weiser River! Several friends have done it in the past and had a good time. I myself am putting in for the Western States 100 in California for my big race next year. The odds are long so if I don't get in I'll probably try and do another semi-local 100 miler in Utah. It really is lots of fun and there isn't such an importance on time and speed like road races. Every ultra I have done I take my camera and snap lots of pictures and try to enjoy the ride!! Ryan in Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just ordered the book on Amazon since the library doesn't have it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts