Skip to main content


Teton Dam Marathon Review

On the 2nd of June, I woke up at 4am to make a 3 hour drive to eastern Idaho for the Teton Dam Marathon. I did the 5K.

Did I mention I woke up at 4am to make a 3 hour drive. Yeah, not the best idea for legs to be in PR shape. My leggies were stiff and at 1100 more feet of elevation then at home, it was a slow trot for sure. No PR attempt this trot, that's for sure.

I woke up at 4am (my normal wake up time is 8am - 10am depending on the day) so that early is  painful. I had everything all packed and ready the evening before- brekky, post-race clothes, snacks, and a full tank of gas for the long drive. All I had to do was make coffee and head out. I didn't even brush my teeth before I left. Coffee first.

The drive was nice and not a lot of traffic for a Saturday morning. I don't know the last time I have been to Rexburg, but it was easy to find the race start. I thought the race started at 8am, but that was the 10K. The 5K started at 8:30am and I got there to get my bib at …

Ramping Up Mileage

This weekend, after indulging in turkey day food and drink, I stepped on the scale. Yikes! I think it is a perfect time to take my 50K training seriously.

It might not help my cred that I am eating Kettle Korn from the downtown Boise tree lighting last night at the Grove and thinking about this martini. FYI-use half and half instead of whipping cream. I made one last night and there is a good chance I will make another tonight. I highly recommend that you make you one too!

I had the highest mileage week that I have had in, well, according to Daily Mile, since Sept 29/30th when I did the two half marathons that weekend.

I don't exactly recommend ramping up your mileage from a 5 mile week, to an 18, to a 32. But that is how I roll.

Saturday was a treddy workout for 7 miles. I was watching Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch. I really, really, really love this version. But my ipod battery died so it was a sad last bit of treddy running without an ipod, and an unfinished episode.

Sunday was 13 miles on the treddy. I was thinking I was only going to go for 10 but figured if next week is a 16 mile long run, I might was well do 13 and make it a half marathon.

 I only took in, like, 66 calories and water during this run. I had only 2 Hammer Perpetuem Solids. One at mile 5 and another at mile 9.Oh, I plenty fuel to burn after looking at my weight this weekend! Actually, I used the Hammer Solids because they are hard for me to eat.

 You can't just swallow them down like gels. You kinda have to chew them up, then they are in your teeth for a while. Or just let them soften enough before you chew on them. I wanted to practice eating and running slogging at the same time. Breathing in through your nose and chewing with your mouth closed, while running, without choking, isn't easy. And the Solids leave less of a mess on a public treadmill since they are pretty mess-free.

 How was your weekend? Do you still have turkey-day leftovers?


  1. Thankfully the leftovers stayed at my parents house. I am terrified of my scale right now. I ate way to much good stuff over the weekend. Way too many desserts and just plain indulgence. Oh well. Back to the grind tomorrow. :/

    1. The only good thing about Monday is getting back into the daily routine!


Post a Comment

Popular Posts