New Years Day 5K

This cold, morning, I did my 2nd 5K this week. The New Years Day 5K

This is my 2nd year in a row to do this race. I did the race 1-1-2012 and I felt like a fat, bloated mess.

I basically wore nearly the same thing as I did last year. Black with my silver Team Sparkle skirt. It was a cold 17 degrees. And it started to snow before the race. I was really worried about how slick the greenbelt race route was going to be.

I really didn't drink as much as I would have liked last night. (Although dinner was quite the event) And I did not sleep as well as I would have liked either. A 1am bedtime and I woke up at 3am. I could NOT go back to sleep again until after 4am. My alarm was set for 8:30am for a 10am race. I laid in bed until after 9am. Just could not get out of bed after I looked at the weather temp on my phone. 17 degrees. Ugh.

I had no nerves for this race at all. None. My head was just really tired feeling. I didn't sleep enough.

I had coffee and a piece of toast with apple butter and chia seeds on top pre race. I noticed that there was a light snow falling and starting to stick on the ground.

We got to the race site 10 minutes before the start. I didn't really do much for warm up other then some jumping place.

A few minutes before the start. My hair is quite fashionable.
I think the race started almost on time. Maybe a minute late? No biggie either way. It really seemed like a smaller crowd then that was here last year. I guess the cold and snow made some people DNS? I started out pretty conservatively because I was so unsure about how slick the ground was. I never thought about changing my shoes to my trail shoes or even investing in a pair of Yak Trax, which I did see quite a few people wearing, until after I got to the start line. I could see some icy patches and there was some salt down in spots, but not on the whole path. I did run as fast as I could for conditions. I did run on the greenbelt path and on the side in the snow. The snow felt like it took more energy to run in, even though it was just an inch or so deep. I did step onto an icy bit a few times and could feel my lack of foot grip on the ground but I never felt insecure or off balance with my footing.



The race itself was pretty uneventful. I passed and got passed. Only one person commented on the skirt. I figured that I would have gotten a side stitch. I get those when I drink and then go run. But I didn't have a problem. My quads were just really cold, which made the last push at the end really hard to make happen. I took my gloves off after the 1st mile where my core got all warmed up.



Water bottles at the finish line. Inside the Ram was chili and soup and fruit and bagels and hot chocolate and sparkling cider. I had a small bowl of chicken tortilla soup, that was so good. I really wanted another. I had fruit and half a bagel. It all totally hit the spot after the race.


While eating and waiting for the announcement and prizes of the winners, they had a raffle giving away some nice things. Gift cards to Flying M, Westside Drive In, Bandanna, fresh bread and honey bears from Great Harvest I think, and Runners World 2013 calendars. Which I did win.

Yay for me!

I won!
I am tired and ready for a nap. Today is my last day off of work for the holiday and tomorrow is back to the daily grind. I hope everyone had a great holiday season!

Did you run today? How many races are you planning for 2013? Do you have a Runners World calendar?

Comments

Popular Posts