Skip to main content


The Millennial's Guide To Changing The World Review

This post is sponsored by The Millennial's Guide To Changing The World book by Allison Sher.

I was given a digital copy of this book. I thought that it would be good to read, even though I am a Gen X'er. There is just so much talk about the Millennial's right now that I thought that it would be good to get to know what is going on inside their head.

About the Book  The Millennial's Guide to Changing the World teaches young people everything they need to know to change the world, while building a happy, healthy adult life for themselves. It explains how our current social systems work, the challenges young people are inheriting and how millennials can step into our power to create a critical mass conversion to solve them. Everything from politics to spirituality to love relationships to education to sex to economics to mental health is covered. And it includes 50 or so juicy, true life stories from millennials across the country…

Race To Robie Creek Half Marathon 2013

In 2012, I completed my first Race To Robie Creek. It was tough, but I really thought it was the 80-something degree weather that made it so difficult.

Waiting at the start

This year, the weather was perfect (50's), my legs are stronger, and I'm way more confident in my distance abilities. I did complete my race in a half hour faster then last year.

Finishing time.

I had chip timing issues where they have to manually enter me into the finishing time and they are real great about it, but I know I finished around 2:35. Last year was 3:11. The Soleus appeared to sync up with the race mile markers better this year then my garmy did last year.

I did have a time goal to finish in 2:40 and to run more then walk, not hurt myself, and have fun. 

I started the day nervous. Like leg shaking, gut churning nerves. Mentally, I was fine, I slept OK. But my body was freaking the H out.

Near the race start. I'm in the middle at the light post.
There was a bigger police presence this year, and I think less spectators. Maybe it was the weather for the less cheering fans along the side of the road going up to the canyon, since it was cool outside. Or it could have been the Boston deal. Who knows, but there were people out and about cheering and it was fun.

I felt fast and I kept my pace easy. I wanted to run as far as I could, and walk when walking just became faster then running. That was at mile 5. I felt like I had run out of go-go juice. I had water at all the water stops. I had a bite of orange slice somewhere around that and 1 gel at mile 7. I should of had it sooner.

I had a hot spot forming on both arches of my feet. I can't remember when that started. I want to say mile 3 but I could be wrong. Or it could be right. It was from my shoes being a smidge too tight on the laces or the grit from the trail. Or both. But I did get a blister on my right foot, and 2 starting on my left.

About a quarter-sized blister
I took pictures only when I walked. I wanted to take more, but I didn't want to dig my phone out of the pocket and walk to take pics.


Hello bad posture at the summit
I could feel it in my quads that they were getting worked. Things were hurting and I was blocking it all out the best I could. On the backside on the downhill, oh, I was feeling it. On that 9th mile, I seen that I was at a 6:39 pace and finished that mile at a 8-something pace.

But I had this horrible side stitch happen. Like every step resulted in a spazm. It wasn't a breathing thing and it was more on my right side but I could feel it on my left, too. Of course I stop and walk to see if that would calm it down and someone had to yell out "I read your blog!" Thanks. ;-) I started trotting after that.

And unlike last year at the finish, I didn't have to wait a half hour to find the BF who was wandering around the crowd. He arrived off the shuttle bus right when I was finishing this year. I asked him to take the 1:30 bus but he took the 2:00 instead. So no finish line video from him, but at least he was right there with my bag. I had to change out of my shoes!

I am about 6 minutes in on the finisher video.

Statesman finish line pic.

I did appreciate the quick Highlands Hollow beer line and I had a few of those beers - two at a time. The food I thought was better then last year but it could have been that I finished faster, and just plain ol' got to it sooner.

I was tired on the bus ride to the car to home. I wanted Big Juds. I wanted fro yo. I wanted a nap. I didn't get any of those because I just sat in an epsom salt bath.  Sleep that night really sucked a big one too. I kept having muscle spasms near my shoulder blades that kept waking me up.

It is Tuesday now, and I will be having a mental breakdown from nerves in a day or two for Saturday's 50K. (am I ready? did I train well enough? will I be recovered to start? should I request to start early? eek!) My quads still have some of the worst DOMS that I have had. Like, hurt to the touch, I don't want to stretch this out or get out of my chair DOMS.

Bus line with my post race beer

But this is all what I signed up for and in reality, I had fun. I will be back for Robie next year with a hopefully faster finish time!


  1. way to go on the PR, the 50K will be great! Good luck and have fun!

    1. Thank you! I got nerves for the 50K for sure!

  2. Congrats on the awesome finishing time. Isn't it amazing how much we can improve in one year?!

    1. A year really does make a huge difference!

  3. Congrats on an fantastically improved finish time! Your race pics turned out so great. It WAS so hot last year. Ugh. Not so much this year.

    1. I think with the cooler weather this year, a lot of PR's will be happening for so many people!


Post a Comment

Popular Posts