Monday, December 23, 2013

YMCA Christmas Run 2013

I did the YMCA Christmas Run on Saturday the 21st. This is the 2nd time of doing this run. If interested, here is my review of the 2011 race.

http://www.ymcatvidaho.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/header/header/races-web-banner_2.png
Source

This year, I was way more calm and prepared. Shoveling snow for nearly 2 hours at the end of my shift the night before did have me mildly concerned because I wanted to have a full rest day before the race. That didn't happen. I was a little tired and my back was sore from all the shoveling. I got a workout in for sure! But I did get nearly a full 8 hours of sleep and slept ok despite a whole lot of tossing and turning from an achy back.

Coffee and half a pancake with chia seeds and egg whites was brekky. I didn't have anything prepared at all. Nothing set out. No clothes, no shoes, nothing. I was calm and unconcerned. No stress or nerves! I did know that I was gonna wear a red Sparkle Skirt, my Team Beef shirt, my fake Burberry scarf-I wasn't gonna wear my real ones, and earmuffs with gingerbread men on them. I didn't even pick up my bib the night before because I am trying to minimize car trips, so I picked up my bib the morning of the race.

Despite a lot of people picking up their stuff the morning of too, I didn't have much of a wait for my bib or shirt.

The new boy held my shirt swag and we went outside to scope out the scene.

We joked how the St. Als bear was going all pedobear on the kids. We kinda wanted a pic with him.


Did I mention the snow the night before? Yea. There was a lot as you can see. No, I do not have Yaktrax or snowshoes. I toughed it out in my Salomon XR Mission trail shoes that I have had for a while. They do ok in the snow.

The crowd gathered nicely a few minutes before the start. I was thankful for the tightly packed crowd before the start, because it was warm.

Jam packed!
 I am not thankful for the crowd because it took nearly a mile - out of a 2 mile race - to get out of the crowd. That 10:00 pace sign meant nothing to some people who were in front of it walking. ugh.


 The crowd in front of me. 


The crowd in another direction. Lots of lots of people. It took a mile to get out of the crowd. I was cutting people off and dodging people and slowing down and speeding up. It was hard running in the snow, made harder by trying to plow a personal path in the crowd.


It wasn't so bad after that first mile. The crowd thinned quite a bit. We did have to stop because of the traffic, but it was just for a couple of cars.


I was getting tired and sweaty. I was concerned about being too cold and I had 2 pant layers on. I didn't plan on running in both layers. I wanted to be warm before and after the race and was planning on taking the top layer off before the start. I didn't and I think I would have been slightly faster and definitely more comfortable during. Oh well. But all the snow on the road! It felt like running on the sand. I kinda wish I was on a warm beach running in the sand instead of the cold snow! I preferred running on the shoveled and unshoveled sidewalks instead of the salted and sanded road.

I cruised to the finish with the new boy waiting for me.


We got finisher medals this year. Kinda cool. One more to add to my new bling holder.


I don't feel too bad being 7th in my AG. I really worked it! I wanted a nap afterwards.

Did you run this weekend? Have you participated in a Christmas or holiday run? Do you enjoy running in the snow? Yaktrax - yes or no?

4 comments:

  1. Great run!! Are you doing the hot cocoa run?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job in the snow and crowds! That run reminds me of the turkey trot I did. Overcrowded and everyone lined up so wrong. Our weather has been so cold and crappy this year I'm kind of glad I've got nothing on tap for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful for the smaller races for sure!

      Delete