YMCA Idaho Potato Marathon 2014

I went into this race as completely non-competitive. I was not even going to push myself or attempt to break into a sweat.

FIP_Art for web-01 (2)
I love this years logo.
 I had my butt kicked this week being so sick. I had a fairly high fever until about Wednesday. I was feeling better after that when my antibiotics finally kicked in. Sore throat was gone, no fever, just coughing up all the junk in my lungs and I felt weak and tired all week. I have not slept very well all week with the coughing and hacking waking me up. I attempted a run on Thursday and just walked it instead. I did not have any energy!


That was what I was expecting to feel on Saturday morning.

Saturday morning was uneventful. Made it to the race start a half an hour early. Did a little bit of a warm up and with 10 minutes to spare I got in line with the crowd. It wasn't too bad but when the start happened, the first mile was crowded.


I forgot the knee brace at home that I have been faithfully wearing. The new boy gave me some $170 brace he found at the thrift store and I have worn it at every run.

From here
It is made for rehabbing knee tracking issues and I think it has been healing my knee. I had no knee aches as I did this race!

Anyways, the first half of the race, I wanted to just cough and cough. All that junk in my lungs was really loosening up. I feel like I have the plague when I have to hack non-stop in a crowd. I know how paranoid us runners get with being sick and it being race season, but I did not feel eyeballs of hate glaring into me. The 10k'ers split from the 5k'ers and a bit more room on the Greenbelt opened up.

I just took my time trotting. Kept it easy and relaxed. I wasn't really taking in the scenery or anything but just plodding along. I have been using the Runkeeper app on my phone as my GPS and every time I looked at it, it appeared I was negative splitting! What?! I never do that!


I predicted a 30 minute finish and came close enough to that. The race had some issues with the timing and I think that my runtastic time was more accurate then their time. I checked their computer when I finished and it said that I was 6th female in my age group. Now it says I am 9th. And I have 2 different finishing times on their system. - Edited - oh, its chip time and gun time. Duh.


My official time is the gun time and not the chip time?

Why was everyone SO slow?
I don't recall anyone finishing before me but another Team Beef couple that finished holding hands. But the official results says a few other people finished between them and me. I don't recall that... but who knows. None of this is a big deal because I didn't place, BUT if I was at my expected speed of 26 minutes, I WOULD have placed. Why was everyone so slow at this race? Where are all the fast ladies at? Were they all doing the longer distances?


Oh well. It's over and I finished without feeling like death. I got my raffle ticket - I didn't get my raffle ticket last year... The new boy was taking my picture to prove that I was at the race and he heard my number.


I didn't even hear it but I went and asked and I won a $5 gift certificate to Westside Drive in. Whoot Whoot!


Posed with the Spuddy Buddy - with my swag in my hand. And went home and took a nap. Sometimes, it is nice to not go all out in a race and run it just like it is a normal day.

Did you race this weekend? Have you ever done a race where the timing was massively messed up?

Comments

  1. I've had a few races where the times got messed up. When I had my Garmin to verify the actual time, they adjusted my result. On one my Garmin didn't find me for the first few minutes of the race and I goofed and got my arm between the chip and the reader at the finish.... My finish time was guessed (I'm thinking, the time they have for me doesn't make sense based in what my Garmin did get) I had no Garmin time for the first 1/2 mile so they couldn't adjust it....
    I did the half this weekend for the potato. Finished in 2:53... I'm pretty happy with that. It was my first 1/2! I left right after I finished, did I miss anything good at the booths or anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh congrats on your first half! You finishing time was faster then my first half!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts