I was in the Newspaper

I was in the local newspaper for winning first place in the Magic Valley Weight Loss Challenge. The Times News is Twin Falls, Idaho local paper.

They were supposed to have a photographer come to the house and take my pic but he didn't show up. I didn't get to email them my picture so they used a stock photo for the article. You can go to the website and read the article HERE

or just read below because I just copied and pasted it below.

Jerome Woman Wins $10,000 Magic Valley Weight Loss Challenge

July 05, 2015 6:00 pm  • 

TWIN FALLS • In the beginning, there were 247.

Then 50.

And finally one was crowned the winner of the Magic Valley Weight Loss Challenge.
Tanya Savage was announced the winner in late June after six months of competition held by the YMCA.

The Jerome woman lost 68.6 pounds, equaling 35.07 percent of her body weight. The runner-up was Karla Martinez, of Jerome, who lost 106 pounds, 33.5 percent of her body weight.
Savage also won $10,000 in prize money. The top five finishers received cash prizes. Martinez received $5,000 and fifth-place received $1,000. People who placed sixth through 10th were given free six-month memberships to the Y.

Christina and Dustin Tipton and their family won the healthy family challenge. They won $2,500 toward a dream vacation. The Twin Falls family plans to visit Disneyland.
“We used to eat out numerous times of week. Me and my husband quit drinking soda and the kids are involved in sports,” Christina said.

The Tipton family also organized a community event where they donated eight bicycles for a drawing held at Xavier Charter School. Students in kindergarten though fourth grade were asked to exercise 30 minutes a day for one month. The drawing was held June 2.

“It’s always inspiring to me when one person takes charge of their health,” said Bear Bangs, director of the Magic Valley Weight Loss Challenge. “It gets pretty exciting. In just the top 50, 1,850 pounds were lost. That’s 37 pounds per person. That’s exciting to me.”

Savage moved to Jerome from Boise a year ago. She learned of the Magic Valley Weight Loss Challenge after getting a Y membership.

“It was the first time I ever tried to lose weight,” she said. “I’ve always been kind of heavy. Two hundred and fifty pounds was my heaviest even though I was active. It was crappy diet and it was hard to lose weight.”

Savage started the challenge weighing 196 pounds. She now weighs 127 pounds. It is the lowest weight she has been in her life.

“I’m wearing a skirt now that’s hanging off of me,” Savage said.

She credits the loss to eating healthier in addition to being more active.

“I’ve always been a runner. I like riding my bike. I blog about running, but I’ve been a heavier runner,” she said. “Now I’m incorporating more healthy things. Veggies are really nice right now. Being in the habit of working out, that’s been a good habit, it’s something I’m doing every day.”

The hardest part of the competition Savage said was being too hard on herself.
“I was working out so hard. Weight loss is hard as it is,” she said. “Being bored with healthy food. My other half can eat and eat and he doesn’t have a weight problem.”

Savage plans to use the money as a down payment on a house and a trip to the Oregon coast.
“I worked really hard. I know everyone else worked really hard too,” Savage said. “I was just so proud of myself. It’s not easy, I would rather train for another marathon than do another 70 pound weigh loss.”

Comments

Popular Posts