Why I Won't Run the Weiser River 50K Again

I have completed two 50K's. Both times it was the same race. 2013 and 2015. It was the Weiser River Trail Ultra 50K. I picked the race because it was fairly close to home. It also was on an easy path. It's a gradual downhill of a former rail road track. I'm afraid of getting lost on the trails at some of the mountain races, so these one is pretty straight and its hard to get lost on.



But the community that this race is in, I can no longer support. There was a police shooting earlier this year. A man was shot multiple times by police. It all started when his bull got loose and was hit by a car. The police called the bull owner because the bull needed to be put down. Something happened and the rancher wound up dead by police.

You can read about what happened in a local newspaper article here.

Now, I try not to express my political or religious opinions on the blog and on my runninginboisde/runningandwineing social media. But I felt I needed to for this case.

Now, if the men who shot the rancher were not police officers, they would have been tried for, at the very least manslaughter. IMHO But since they were police officers and the rancher had alcohol in his system, that alone gives the state enough of a just cause to not proceed on this case further. So, if the community wants police officers like this employed, I will exercise my right to not spend money in their community. 

This makes me sad, but I feel that this is the right thing to do. I feel that by me doing this, it will provide a deeper message and protest then holding up a sign at the Capitol building will do. My apologies to the innocent business owners who I may be hurting.


I really enjoyed this race and the scenery. And that whole you never forget your first adage is true here.

Has there been a time where you have protested against something that wasn't right?

Comments

Popular Posts