Every Body Yoga Book Review

I am still reading away on a few ebooks I can download onto my phone. After the election, I received a free year subscription to The New York Times and that has been cutting into the book reading time. But I am slowly plugging away at the pages. Maybe a page or two an evening but its still page turning.

This blog post is a quickie review of Jessamyn Stanley's new book called Every Body Yoga.

My ebook screenshot

I know you have had to have seen Jessamyn on Instagram as she has a bazillion followers. Plus shes been in magazines for being "body positive" and being a plump girl in a sports bra and leggings doing yoga. I think that her flexibility is awesome. Actually living the yogi lifestyle is something she appears to be doing while being true to herself. She always looks happy and I like that.

This book gives a background into Jessamyn's life and her discovery into the yoga practice that she does today. The way this book is written is part biography with a little section of basic poses at the end. It feels like she is talking to you with a distinct tone of verbage that you could imagine her speaking to you. Lots of colorful language, aka cussing, is in this book. Its not the gentle "Peace, Love, Hippy BS" wording that you get from most other yogis. I personally cuss a lot in my conversations and it has been a complaint from some people. I now know how others feel as I was actually a little put off by the cussing and stopped reading the book word for word. I started to skim as I thought the cussing was a distraction from what Jessamyn was trying to convey.

Screenshot from my ebook
If you can look past all the crass verbage, the book is a good book for yoga beginners. There is a nice history section of yoga. There is a section on the different kinds of yoga. There is a section on the Eight Limbed Path, which is the part that scares me, as that is the part I could live. I think I would have conflicts in my household if I became more aware and lived those 8 paths.

One section that I like is about the clothes and props needed for a yoga practice. Jessamyn has made some good suggestions on what else you could use if you don't have straps or blocks.

My favorite pose
At the end of the book shows her and other yoga friends giving examples of each of the poses. They are pretty basic asanas. Mountain Pose, Downward Facing Dog ect. There are flexy yogi poses and ones with examples with blocks.

So comfy
Overall, I thought this book to be a good book if you wanted a background into Jessamyn's life and if you wanted some basic yoga advice. If you are scared to go to a class or have only gone a few times, this is a good book for you. Otherwise, I would not buy it if you were not a fangirl of hers or if you already knew how to get into Child's Pose or Standing Forward Bend.

Do you follow Jessamyn on Instagram? Do you plan on reading or buying this book?

Comments

Popular Posts